Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Let's Get Ready to Rumble.......

Gotta love Jock Jams.  More on that later in the post :)

So it's been a while since I've updated - oops!  Let's see... This past Thursday I still wasn't in the mood for running (still in the slump from being on vacation).  I knew I should do something, so I did Zumba.  I honestly wasn't looking forward to it, but once I was there and got into it, it was fun.  No Cupid Shuffle this time, but it's all good.  The A/C wasn't working well at the gym that night, so the room was like 81 degrees, with about 25 people dancing... Yeah, it was toasty!  Needless to say, there was a lot of sweat.  I'm weird and sometimes judge my workout by how much I sweat (yeah, I know, it's gross).  Well that night was an AWESOME workout, solely based on sweat ;)  As I was leaving that night, there was another class going on that was doing a lot of core exercises.  It appeared to be all the kinds of things you hate doing on your own- squats, lunges, abs, etc.  So I looked on the schedule and saw the other times they had the class just out of curiosity.....  there was one Saturday morning.

I had planned on going running on Saturday morning.  I had told Dee about this class, and she talked me into going to it.  If you're in Raleigh, you'll remember it rained like crazy Friday night/Saturday morning.  Definitely one of those mornings where you just want to stay in bed all day and be lazy.  It was veryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy tempting!  But I got my butt up and went.

The class was in the basketball gym.  There wasn't music playing, which was a bummer, but I got over that ;)  Started off doing jumping jacks and suicide sprints.  I haven't done EITHER of those since I was in middle school gym class/basketball practice.  Wow.  Brought back some memories.  Then we did multiple lunge and squat exercise variations across the gym.  Did LOTS of crunches and isometric (planks) exercises.  It was tough.  Also, a lot of sweating going on!  That's all I can remember doing in the hour we were there.  I'm sure we did more, I just blocked it out of my memory ;)  I felt much better after the class was over because I was like, WOW, I just did that!  I felt like I had finally gotten over my hump of not wanting to exercise.  A nice little kick start!

After the class, I had this second wind.  Strange, I know.  Probably all the endorphins.  So I figured, why not go run?  I hopped on the treadmill and did 2 miles (intervals).  Then I did twice the amount of stretching I usually do because I knew it was coming based on the things we did during the class.

Well it didn't take long.  That afternoon the soreness kicked in.  Sunday morning I woke up, and initially I could not sit up.  My abs hurt that bad!  It hurt to sit down.... and get back up.  I haven't been this sore since swim team in college.  Whew!  I probably should have gone for a walk or something that day to loosen up my muscles, buuuuut I opted for a lazy afternoon instead.   Monday morning was a little better, and today I was fine.  I know it was worth it, but it sure hurt!!!!

I looked to see when her next class the lady taught was, and this week it unfortunately conflicted with other plans I had :(  Oh yeah, on Saturday, she came up to me after and introduced herself (apparently this class has 'regulars' because she knew all their names). She mentioned that she does teach some other classes and I should try those too!  I really like this teacher because she's a personal trainer, so she knows what she's doing.  (The class is kind of like a personal training session without having to pay extra ;).  She pushes you to work hard, but isn't a drill sargent.   She has a fun personality, and is very encouraging.  It's exactly what I need!  I look forward to going to her classes twice a week.  I know it will make a HUGE difference in my running.

Last night I went to a class similar to Zumba.  It's like an aerobics dance class, except you build up to a routine over about 5 songs.  It's one of those classes that you put in the effort that you want to get out of it.  I didn't go all out, because I was going to run 2 miles after the class. And I actually did!  Wahoo!

Today, I went to another one of her classes.  It's called Butts, Guts, and Guns.  Great name.  It was similar to the previous class I had taken.  We did lunges, squats, abs, and did more upper body exercises than the other class.  This class had music!  The soundtrack?  The Jock Jams CD!  It was awesome.  For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about......  A lot of the songs are in the movie Space Jam... and it's a lot of the songs you hear at basketball games.

Here is a video of the songs (DEFINITELY worth listening to!):
Jock Jams Mix

Good stuff, right?!  I'm going to add it to my running list.  That particular song is a mixture of all of them. LOVE it.

Ok, that was a REALLY long post.  Sorry!  I'll do better about updating :)

No comments:

Post a Comment