Monday, August 22, 2011

Born to Run

...by Bruce Springsteen.  The other day the phrase "born to run" randomly popped in my head, and then I remembered there was a song with that title and downloaded it  ;)  It's fun to run to!

So this afternoon I had planned to go swim laps tonight for my exercise.  Something different, and I haven't swam in a long time.  I was really looking forward to it.  But then on my drive home from work, I started thinking about what my evening plans were for this week.  And it's a busy one.  So as I thought through my week, I realized today and probably Wednesday were the only two days I knew I'd have time to run.  The other nights I have plans, or I will be super tired (aka- the first day of school).  I need to be running 2-3 times per week, soooooo I had to give up swimming tonight :(

Therefore, I was dreading running and almost didn't go because it had been a long day.  Then I realized that this is what it will feel like most days after work, so I needed to get over myself, and do it, haha.  Once I got to the gym and on the treadmill, I was fine.  I was feeling brave and upped my treadmill speed by 0.3 mph for the whole run.  It makes more of a difference than you think, but it was a manageable change that still pushed me.  On my last last interval, I upped the treadmill speed a little bit more to sprint at the end.  Success!!  I ended up doing 3.3 miles on intervals. Yay!  And once I got going, I was enjoying it and turned up my music pretty loud so my brain couldn't talk myself out of wanting to walk ;)

1 comment:

  1. Glad you decided to run! School is crazy, but running is such a great way to get rid of some of the stress from your day. Last year I had some rough days and all I wanted to do was sit around and feel sorry for myself... but I was training for a race and I forced myself to get out the door. It was worth it every time! Definitely find the time to run after school starts!

    PS - Hope the first day goes well tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete